The competition is open to registered students in their undergraduate program; graduate-level degree engineering programs, emerging professionals under 35. Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students will need to provide their advisor’s contact information. Abstracts will be accepted from undergraduate students, graduate students.
Tuesday, March 17 | 2:15 PM – 4:00 PM | SME ZONE
Deadline Extended: February 26, 2020 at 11:59 PM
Abstracts should address research, case studies and/or applications in any of the following areas:
- Additive Manufacturing/3D Technology
- Automation & Robotics
- Composites & Advanced Materials
- Digital Technologies
- Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)
- Integrated Assembly
- Precision Machining
- Finishing & Coatings
- Quality, Measurement & Inspection
- Smart Manufacturing
Students must provide a description of the design along with supporting figures and photographs. Presentations will be judged on a number of factors, including:
- Research Content – Objectives/Methodology/Findings
- Visual Presentation – Organization of PowerPoint Presentation
- Oral Communication – Speaking Style and Delivery
- Contribution to Industry and/or Industry Advancement
- Overall Presentation Impression
- Presenters need to present a five-minute summary of their work to interested attendees and judges.
- Teams may use visual aids – and present up to 3 PowerPoint slides
- Teams will be limited to 5 minutes for their formal presentations
- The judges may ask each team 1 to 2 questions
- Presentations will need to be submitted one week prior to the Challenge date (to be eligible to compete in the Oral Presentation Challenge)
Prizes & Awards
Oral Presentations will be judged and there will be two first place awards (undergraduate and graduate), two second place awards (undergraduate and graduate). Cash prizes and awards, listed below (subject to the quality of the entries), will be presented at the annual AeroDef Manufacturing Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Prizes include:
- First Prize – $750 ; Second Prize – $500; (Awardees must be present at the Awards Reception to accept the prizes.)
- A certificate of achievement.
- A complimentary, one-year SME membership.
- A recognition letter sent to the winner with a copy sent to the university advisor/educator.
- A recognition letter sent to a student newspaper/technical publication designated by the winner.